Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Coupon Policies

  Another thing you should do while starting out your couponing adventure, is carry the store’s coupon policy. When I first heard that I should carry the coupon policy around with me I thought that was going a little extreme. I mean after all it’s the store’s policy, right? Well, one thing is that this is extreme couponing and that means you have to become extreme is some senses. And then I learned after my first experience of being told “no” that I should have had the policy with me.
   Stores change their cashiers quite often and as a result the cashiers don’t get all of the up-to-date training. And as a result of that when you try to use a BOGO coupon on a BOGO sale to get both items free, the cashier may say “I’m sorry ma’am but you can’t use that coupon since it’s already BOGO.” It’s not the cashier’s fault so please do try and stay nice to them, but if you do come across a situation where they are saying “no” but you know it’s  a “yes, yes, YES!” then nicely pull out your policy and inform them that here it says that yes you can use that coupon. More often than not if you pull out the policy printed from their website there won’t be any hassle. And if they still won’t budge ask for a manager. It may take you longer but you’ll be verifying your own information as well as making sure that that cashier knows for future times.
   I can’t promise that every transaction will go along without a hitch. I had one cashier tell me once that she wouldn’t take my coupons because she didn’t want to hold up her line. I informed her that by the store’s policy she had to take the coupons and it just so happened that’s when a manager walked by and heard what was going on. The manager was nice enough to take me over and ring me up herself, after informing the cashier she had to take coupons. What the cashier wasn’t realizing is that it took the same amount of time to argue with me then it would have to just take the coupons. Be prepared to take a stand on couponing. You don’t have to become overly aggressive, but if you know that you are right, ask for a manager. And if that manager still says no, then say “I’m sorry but I won’t be able to make this transaction today.” And leave. Yes you will have wasted the time, but it’s not worth the aggravation to fight against a brick wall. When stuff like that happens to me, it makes me want to get those free items or nearly free items even more then paying full price, because as I say, “It’s stickin’ it to the man!”
   Couponing will show you how to become empowered. It may sound weird but it does. You begin to stand up for yourself. You know you can get the things you want for less if you just wait. And that waiting makes those items that much more satisfactory. When I go clothes shopping now, I can’t even look at full priced items. Everything I buy has to be less then full price because I know eventually it will be. And I can wait if it means saving that extra 20%, 30% or sometimes 80%.
   Couponing is a happy experience. If it becomes too stressful or you feel overly aggrevated at the cashiers, then take a step back and see what you can do to make it more pleasurable. It should feel exciting. I get a rush every time I walk out of that store with a full basket and money still in my pocket. I even get excited when I see clearance items that I have a coupon for. People look at me funny sometimes but hey, I am getting the items I need and want for less then anyone else around me. Look for those couponing ladies at your grocery stores. You’ll see the binders and the carts full of seven or eight of the same items. Say hi, it’s a great experience to meet those other couponers. I try to meet at least one new person while I’m out and share tips and deals. It’s fun!
   Now looping back to the coupon policies, I have put up links to all the stores that I most frequent. If your store isn’t on the list then go to their website and look for one. Or the next time you are at the store ask customer service if they have one, and where you can find it, or if they can just print it out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment